Friday, September 14, 2012

Being an Artsy-Fartsy MBA


Over the past couple weeks I've been seriously looking into the art school option versus continuing with my MBA. I still have some (fairly critical) research to do before deciding, but it's looking more and more like I will be continuing the MBA and learning what I need about computer animation on my own. If any actual classes turn out to be necessary, I will attempt to take them at one of the junior colleges in my area.

After speaking with several people about computer animation (or any kind of art, really) for game design and movie magic, I've come across a fairly commonly shared idea: art school is not necessary. in keeping with the logic of the idea of applying for an art-related job, it seems many of the companies I'd be interested place far more importance on portfolios than on degrees. This makes sense; a degree simply assures that you passed classes, but says nothing of skill or talent. The portfolio shows what you can do. Apparently, some companies (such as Blizzard) have actually specified that to interested artists, saying a degree is nice, but truly not necessary; they base their hiring decisions on portfolios, and if a person has outstanding skill with no schooling, that's fine.

This is good. However, it does present a couple of problems.

1. I know absolutely nothing about computer animation or any other game design and movie magic elements. I took one basic Flash class years ago while working on my graphic design degree. To say it was sub-par is laughable. Thus, learning to animate, learning what programs are used in the industry, etc., will be left to online tutorials and any JC classes I feel would make up for a lack of tutorials.

2. Hard as it may be to believe, I don't know the first thing about putting together a portfolio. While obtaining my graphic design degree, I was told not to just throw a bunch of artwork together in a folder and call it done ... and that was the be-all and end-all of portfolio advice: what not to do, in very generalized terms. So, what do I do? How many pieces of artwork do I show? Do I stick with a theme, or go over all the styles and subjects I'm skilled with? Do I show only traditional art, only digital art, or a combination thereof? Should I create an online portfolio, and if so, how fancy or plain should that be? I know so little.

Between researching these things, I am also researching game and movie studios and artists. I plan on contacting as many people actually working in the industry, doing what I want to do, as possible, to find out how they got in and what is generally sought in new artists. If it turns out that self-learning and a good portfolio really is the way to go, I'll be doing that while working on the MBA, albeit slowly. Then, even if I end up never managing anyone (oh, please, oh, please), at least I'll have a bit more business knowledge for selling my own art on the side, and all have a nice fancy degree to put up on the wall, just to show I did it. Even if I'm the only one to ever see it.

Six-Year-Old-Me is impatient. She wants me to just throw a bunch of artwork together in a folder and walk right in to Lucas Arts, Bethesda, Blizzard, Pixar, or any number of others and just wow them. She's cute, but 31-Year-Old-Me is cautious.

This caution led me to seek the advice of one of the few people in the world whose advice I will take without hesitation every time. Bob Billingsley is a co-worker, but more importantly, he's my adopted-Grandpa/Buddha/mentor. Few people I've met in life have the open-minded, balanced, learning-from-all-walks-of-life views that he does. A columnist at the paper I work for, his wise life lessons often combine the teachings of Native Americans, Buddhism, Christianity, Atheism, and plain old' common sense. It's charming and always makes damn good sense.

After explaining my dilemma, I listened as Bob told me to go for it. With his usual empathy and sensibility, he told me that there are many "yes, but ..." responses to the question, "Should I drop out of business school and go back to art school?" However, he says, while these are good things to listen to and consider, I should not let them hold me back or make my decision for me. He thinks that I really should have been doing something more creative than my current job all along, and that while starting over with a new career direction is risky, it's a risk I need to take. He believes that I can make it work.

He then hugged me and said "Uncle Bob loves you, and you need to do this," and sent me on my way, reminding me that when I was ready for my first-ever art show, he'd be there. And Six-Year-Old-Me and 31-Year-Old-Me both grinned, and when I went to the Art Institute's open house the next morning, it was with a renewed sense of excitement. I doubt I'll be attending AI for a full degree, but its another option for any individual classes I might want to take, and viewing the presentation make that old, much-missed sketching itch start up again. 

It's time to draw again, and paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment